The VEC’s Asia Pacific Centre (APC) works diligently to leverage Vancouver’s long tradition of economic and cultural exchange with the Asia Pacific by developing trusted relationships with major cities, academic institutions and businesses in the region. The APC team designs each outbound trade mission to facilitate increased trade, investment and talent attraction between Vancouver and the destination cities.
Overview & Objectives
From September 5 to September 9, a delegation of academics, government officials and businesses journeyed to Beijing and Shanghai in China with the primary objectives of representing and promoting Vancouver’s innovative, creative and sustainable business sectors, attracting investment to support Vancouver’s knowledge economy, assisting the expansion of local companies into the Chinese market.
Delegates obtained value through the VEC’s brand recognition, along with the business connections and cultural expertise of the APC team. During their time in these major cities, delegates saw several MOUs signed and took part in numerous B2B sessions between Chinese and Vancouver companies.
As part of the Vancouver Business Mission to China, the delegation attended business-focused events in Beijing and Shanghai hosted by some of China’s top business leaders. Stops on the tour included the following:
Beijing (September 5-7)
Shanghai (September 7-9)
The 2017 Vancouver Delegation
The 2017 Vancouver Delegation includes representatives from CleanTech, Digital Entertainment & Interactive, Life & Health Sciences, E-Commerce, and Food Export industries.
Several delegates were on their second or VEC-led mission to build upon the relationships forged during previous missions. Among them are Archiact, a rising star in the international VR/AR/MR industry, and Rare Earth Media, the creator of award-winning documentary Tricks on the Dead,
- 1898 Business Club
- Caifu Media Group
- Fandine Technology
- Hengda VIG
- Planet Earth
- Rare Earth Media
- Rick Hansen Institution
- TJ’s The Kiddies Store
- UBC/Canada China Joint Centre for Bioenergy Research and Innovation
- Whistler Water
- Delegate Aupera Technologies signed an MOU with SpeedyCloud Technology in Beijing, and with PPTV in Shanghai
- Hengda Vacuum Glass North America announced a new office in Vancouver, its investment of $12 million, and the creation of an estimated 50 -100 jobs
- Wealth management & investment firm Noah Holdings announced a new branch office in Vancouver
- CIETAC announced their intention to establish a North American centre in Vancouver
- The Mayors of Vancouver and Shanghai signed a strategic intent to support economic exchanges and collaboration between businesses of the two cities in such sectors as technology and innovation, environment protection, culture, healthcare, transportation, tourism as well as urban administration and management
- VEC signed strategic collaboration agreements with the China Chamber of International Commerce and the Industrial and the Commercial and Industrial Bank of China Private Banking. Parties agree to facilitate B2B connections for their respective companies/members in trade and investment across the Pacific
- VEC signed a strategic collaboration agreement with the China-Canada Joint Centre for BioEnergy Research and Innovation in areas of low carbon economy and circular economy, climate change and greenhouse gas emission reduction, municipal wastes reduction, wastewater sludge treatment, bio-energy for district heating and agriculture wastes treatment and utilization