A new Board of Directors. The departure of former CEO Ian G. McKay. Record-breaking attendance at the Film & Media Centre’s Digital Careers Fair. The upcoming launch of several flagship projects and reports, including the Green Economy Report, Industrial Insights research study, and the Vancouver Film Commission’s updated assessment of film production spend in Vancouver.
Moreover – the launch of a new Industrial Concierge service. The ongoing regional expansion of our Green & Digital Demonstration Program (GDDP), marked by the wildly successful Cascadia Connect workshop at GLOBE Forum 2018. Astonishing attendance and interest in an Alibaba event facilitated by the Asia Pacific Centre. The list goes on and on.
We are only just approaching the half-year mark and it has already been a year of astonishing change and achievement at the Vancouver Economic Commission.
Meet the Board of Directors
Mayor Gregor Robertson continues to serve as Chair; Patrice Impey continues to represent the City of Vancouver’s Finance, Risk & Business Planning department; and former C-suite executive Joel Calvo and veteran entrepreneur Karri J. Schuermans have renewed their commitment to their roles as our trusted and long-serving board members. Joining them are the following new representatives of Vancouver’s Tech, Cleantech, Digital Entertainment & Interactive (DE&I) and professional services sectors:
- Jill Tipping, President & CEO, BC Tech Association
- Denise Williams, Executive Director, First Nations Technology Council
- Catherine Winder, CEO/Partner, Skybound North Entertainment
- Mischa Steiner, CEO, Awesense
- Jennifer Podmore Russell, Senior Vice President of Operations & Strategy, Rennie Group
We warmly welcome these new board members, who will serve a three-year term through to April 2021. Learn more about our board members.
Search for New Executive Leadership Underway
Following the departure of former CEO Ian G. McKay, who resigned his position to take up the reins of federal investment attraction agency Invest in Canada, the Vancouver Economic Commission has begun its search for a new CEO. Our Board of Directors is working with PFM Executive Search to fill the role.
In the interim, the Board of Directors has selected Bryan Buggey to take on the Acting CEO role and lead the organization during this period of transition.
New Reports – New Insights – New Action
The coming weeks will see the launch of several papers, reports and research studies:
- State of Vancouver Green Economy 2018 report – launched during Sustainable Brands, the Green Economy Report reveals that one in 15 Vancouverites works in the green sector. Profiling over 200 businesses demonstrating innovation and climate leadership, it proves that the work of building a resilient global economy is happening in Vancouver and invites the world to collaborate with us.
- Industrial Insights Report – as part of our continued work in better understanding and serving these communities, we conducted research on industrial operations in Vancouver. This report collates the industrial trends, challenges, opportunities, space needs, and economic, social and environmental impacts businesses experience in Vancouver. It also busts open common myths that have exacerbated the rising challenges of working in Vancouver’s scarce industrially zoned areas
- Economic Development Strategy (EDS) – this EDS is being developed with the input of dozens of Vancouver’s most eminent business leaders. With an emphasis on activities that preserve and amplify the livable, sustainable and innovative qualities of Vancouver, this document will serve as an iterative signpost for our future activities in economic development
As always, the Vancouver Economic Commission works for the resilience and prosperity of the city by supporting the most innovative, creative and sustainable businesses that Vancouverites start up, work at, and buy from. We thank you, the business leaders who make this work both possible as well as a pleasure by telling us your concerns, collaborating with us on projects and programs, and join us in celebrating your successes.
We look forward to the upcoming months and years.