The Vancouver Economic Commission (VEC) is the economic development agency for the City of Vancouver. It works to strengthen Vancouver’s economic future by supporting local companies, promoting trade & investment, and operating programs and projects that assist in strengthening key sectors in technology, digital media, film &TV, and the Green Economy. VEC works collaboratively to position Vancouver as a global destination for innovative, creative, diverse and sustainable development.
VEC’s Asia Pacific Centre (APC) was established in 2014 with the goal of building and strengthening ties with markets, customers and investors in the Asia Pacific Region and bridging the gap between investment interests and opportunities to do business. The APC offers a deep knowledge of the economy and industry-specific business intelligence, coupled with a broad understanding of the political, historical and cultural contexts that help create opportunities and expedite deals.
Job Title: Business Development Manager, Asia Pacific Centre, Vancouver Economic Commission
Report to: Executive Director, Asia Pacific Centre, Vancouver Economic Commission
Deadline: June 10, 2019, at 5:00PM Pacific Time
The Business Development Manager (BDM) is a key member of the Asia Pacific Centre’s business development team. The BDM is responsible for the day-to-day execution of the organization’s international trade and investment objectives, and client services programs.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated economic development professional who is seeking a challenging and highly rewarding career opportunity in one of Canada’s largest and most dynamic cities. This is a full-time, permanent position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
We are seeking a qualified individual who has Asia Pacific business development experience to join VEC’s team of experts dedicated to Vancouver’s economic diversification and resilience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Connect with local entrepreneurs and companies, especially those with business interests in the Asia Pacific Region. Such business interests may include seeking investment, strategic and business partners, and exporting goods and services;
- Prepare written reports, proposals, data summaries and presentations of key findings on target clients, industries, markets, key messages, and partners;
- Participate in business planning and budgeting process;
- Develop and coordinate production of business and promotion materials;
- Work with the VEC’s other departments to execute programs that promote awareness of Vancouver as a desirable business location, including promotional events, trade-shows, or conferences;
- Respond to in-bound business and location inquiries; obtain relevant business proposals and information about Vancouver as a business destination;
- Receive business delegations and organize location visits, sometimes working with other agencies or government partners;
- Work on projects such as inbound and outbound missions, workshops and events that advance Vancouver’s economic development goals and priorities;
- On an as-needed basis, assist research staff in seeking out data from a variety of sources as they pertain to Asia Pacific business;
- Work within a local government context, support corporate decision-making and the Vancouver business community as relevant to VEC’s key business sectors: Green Economy, Digital Economy, Film & Television and Tech;
- Perform other activities and duties relating to the role as assigned by the Executive Director of the APC.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications and qualities
- University degree in business administration, commerce, economics, or a related discipline, or a combination of relevant training and experience;
- A minimum of five years of experience working in business development or in a similar role, International work experience in the Asia Pacific Region is preferred;
- Working knowledge of the Asia Pacific Region including economic, business, and regulatory environment;
- High degree of cultural understanding, sensitivity and tact;
- Ability to read, write and speak at a professional level at least one of the languages used in VEC’s key markets in the Asia Pacific Region;
- Ability to execute multiple tasks with attention to detail such as organizing events;
- Possess experienced business development and sales skills, including a proven track record of success in a demanding environment;
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including ability to speak in public to diverse audiences;
- Possess strong business writing skills and the ability to prepare clear and effective documents using a variety of standardized software programs;
- Good research and analysis skills, with the ability to seek out data from a range of sources, basic understanding of quantitative and qualitative research methods with the ability to synthesize diverse sets of data to create meaning and understanding of underlying economic and business trends;
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects and balance competing demands;
- Excellent understanding of business planning principles and goal setting, with the ability to set clear goals and priorities, and deliver results;
- Good understanding of local government structure and decision processes, familiarity with the Vancouver business community;
- Ability to be self-directed while also contributing to a team environment; Ability to work outside of regular office hours periodically; Available to travel periodically.
Based in the heart of downtown, VEC respectfully acknowledges that it is located on the unceded ancestral territories of the Musqueam, Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish nations.
How to Apply
Please apply through Indeed with your LinkedIn, resume and cover letter by June 10, 2019, by 5:00PM Pacific Time. Only Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted by VEC.