Part of GLOBE Series – the largest and longest-running sustainable business summit and innovation showcase in North America – GLOBE Forum features inspiring presentations by world-renowned thought leaders, innovators and sustainability experts. Several will gather for the collaborative presentation “Realizing a Just Transition in the Climate Crisis: Who, What, and How?”, a united pledge and discussion among business leaders reaffirming their commitments to the Paris Agreement.
The session’s objectives include raising inter-sectoral awareness of the “just transition”, a framework that identifies social interventions needed to secure workers’ rights and livelihoods when economies shift to sustainable production; and sharing relevant insights that are realistic and accessible to attendees.
During the action-packed hour, speakers will reference several must-read resources for anyone preparing to navigate the just transition – in other words, most of us. The resources are listed below:
The Norwegian perspective I Anne-Beth Skede, advisor, LO, Landsorganisasjonen i Norge
- Norway is regarded by the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) and many others as a global leader in the Just Transition
- Just Transition Report to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Just Transition guidelines for International Labour Organization (ILO)
- ITUC Climate Changes and Just Transition web pages
- American Federation of Labour and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AF-CIO) Resolution 55: Climate Change, Energy and Union Jobs
The global cities view I Charlotte Breen, Head, Green Economy and Innovation, C40 Cities
- Conversations inside the C40 prompted outreach to the ITUC, which led to a new partnership with the ITUC’s Just Transition Centre
- C40 press release: Mayors Announce Support for Global Green New Deal; Recognize Climate Emergency
- C40 Cities: Inclusive Climate Action
The view from the private sector I Susan McGeachie, Global Director, Climate Change and Sustainability Services, Hatch
- Hatch works with local communities to ensure its solutions optimize environmental protection, economic prosperity, social justice and cultural vibrancy
- Just Transition Guide for Investors
- Hatch website
Applying the Just Transition in Canada I Irene Lanzinger, Former President, BC Federation of Labour
- Exciting developments and progress in the Just Transition worldwide can serve as a template for Canada
- Alberta’s Coal Phase-out: A Just Transition?
- Canadian Government Task Force on Coal Transition
- 18 Strategies for a Green New Deal: How to Make Climate Mobilization Work
- Oregon Just Transition Alliance: Our Core Principles
- Canada’s Building Trades Unions/Columbia Institute Paper: Jobs for Tomorrow